BuildaBridge provides excellent opportunities for internships. Interns learn real-world skills while making a major contribution to the mission of BuildaBridge. Past interns have developed programs, conducted research, written grants, coordinated international and local arts camps, and assisted in fundraising and events. Along with interning in the Philadelphia office, BuildaBridge interns have served with alliance organizations in Guatemala, Haiti, Dominican Republic, Kenya, Turks and Caicos, and Thailand. We do not offer paid internships. These are volunteer opportunities.
As you consider applying for an internship answer the following questions for yourself:
- Can you commit 15 hours per week for 15 weeks or longer?
- Would you spend 6-12 weeks living in another country working with a local organization?
- Are you proactive in problem solving?
- Can you take on a major project and see it to completion?
- Would you rather do direct service with children or learn about the inner workings of a non-profit organization?
- Are you willing to assist in the fundraising and development of the organization?
- Is your motivation one of service and commitment to a mission, or is it to develop your own professional skills. (There is value in both.)
- Are you flexible and able to deal with limited resources?
- Can you work independently with limited supervision?
- Is this a requirement for school, or a personal development venture?
- Can you provide your own transportation and living expenses (locally and internationally)?
- If you can answer these questions with clarity, then we would recommend you apply.
In the internship you should expect:
- Administration and Direct service experience
- Creation of a learning contract for each internship position so both sides know what is expected of one another (duties, goals, time period, etc.)
- Deadlines and fluid work environment. As we work in transitional contexts, you can expect change
- High expectations for work performance with writing, database management, technology, and problem solving
- Honest feedback and end-of-term performance review
- A letter of reference for future job applications and academic applications
- As our offices are small and resources limited, you can expect to use your own laptop in addition to covering your own transportation costs.
- Some housing is available at the BuildaBridge House. Rent is required.
Current Intern Opportunities
If you want to pursue an internship with BuildaBridge then proceed to Intern Application Procedures.